Brexit Withdrawal - What does it mean for your pet?

Brexit Withdrawal - What does it mean for your pet?

Posted by Susan Smith on on 19th Dec 2020

On 1/1/2020, the UK withdrew from the EU. So what does that mean for pet travel?

UPDATE: The EU Commission has classified the UK as a Part 2 Listed Third Country. Northern Ireland remains under the Pet Travel Scheme and is subject to EU legislation for the current time while negotiations continue.

As of 1/1/2021, an Animal Health Certificate, proof of rabies vaccination, microchip and a Declaration of non-commercial transport is what will be required to enter the EU from the UK. No rabies titer test is required. To import a dog, cat or ferret to the UK, a current EU Pet Passport or a GB Health Certificate and a tapeworm treatment between one and five days of import will be required.

With an EU Pet Passport, pets and their owners can travel back and forth between EU Member States and the UK with few additional regulations (tapeworm treatment) UK resident pets must have an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued by an Official Veterinarian in the UK to travel to the EU. Each trip from the UK to the EU will require a new AHC.

UK Pet Passports will not be honored in the EU. 

Commercial transport will have different regulations.  Click here for further details.